We recently moved to Asheville, NC and I must say- one of my most favorite things about this city is the Farmers Markets! We have one that we can walk to and their selection of fresh apples were immediately purchased to make our favorite gluten-free, vegan treat.
This is an old recipe that we have easily made gf/df/all the frees- and my kids even love to help make it since it’s such an easy recipe 🙂 My favorite kind of apples to make this with are Honey Crisp or Pink Ladies!
Also, cinnamon seems to be a spice that loses it’s “cinnamon-ey-ness” quickly in the cupboard, so the addition of non-GMO Cinnamon Bark Vitality Oil from Young Living gives it tons of extra cinnamon-ey flavor!
- 6-8 apples, peeled, and diced (see picture below for the perfect size!)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp cinnamon (can also use 2 tsp cinnamon if not using the oil below)
- 5 drops cinnamon bark vitality oil (can use 8-9 drops and no ground cinnamon also!)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour (King Arthur Brand is my favorite GF blend!)
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 6 large, rounded tablespoons of vegan butter (we use Earth Balance)
Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cut the apples and place in a 9 x 13 glass pan.
- Mix the water, cinnamon, and cinnamon vitality oil and pour over the apples in the pan evenly.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour and the sugar together and use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter. (if you do not have a pastry blender, you can use a fork)
- Cut the butter in until it resembles a crumbly mixture with small pea-sized crumbles like below- and pour over the apples in the pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes until the apple mixture is bubbly and the topping is crisp!
Enjoy it with some dairy-free vanilla ice cream or coco-whip on top!